What to look for?

What to look for?

Post by Guest »

Hi

I am going to look at a Dockrell 22 at the weekend, to sail in the Solent. From the advert and photos she appears to be exactly what I am looking for - lifting keel, outboard engine, trailer, reasonable size for day/weekend sailing, good condition. Is there anything particular I should be looking for - any prevalent faults etc?

Thanks
tantalus2

Post by tantalus2 »

I have boat number 7. So it is quite old, but I still love her. It has a heavy drop keel and it is the one thing that I get nervous about. So I change the pivot bolt every few years and check the winch and cable every year. In fact after the cable broke 2 years ago and damaged the hull, I fitted double cables and a safety cable! ( belt and braces). Other than that - I have had her 17 years in Langstone. PS Also blocked off the old diaphragm tiolet after scary reports of possible sinking ( No sea valve - open to the sea if the outlet pipe goes!)
gart

Keel pivot bolt

Post by gart »

:?: Hi talus2 Do you change the bolt yourself? I would like to check mine, I have tried a couple of times, but nothing moves. I can undo the nut both sides and tried supporting the weight of the keel on a jack but still nothing moves. can you offer any advice?
Graham
tantalus2

keel bolt

Post by tantalus2 »

Boat sitting on keel. Jack up boat v slightly to take weight of boat off bolt. Bolt should move fairly easily with a tap. Take off nut. Knock through old bolt with new bolt with 5 lb hammer gently. At first I was V nervous of this but with weight off bolt and new bolt following the old one, it has always worked ok, although I still hold my breath until the new one is past the bearing and into the keel. Never changed the bearing, but always glass it over afterwards or it leaks.
I do it every 2-3 years.