Are there any D17 owners left out there?

Weysail

Are there any D17 owners left out there?

Post by Weysail »

Hi,
Perhaps a D17 owner could assist me with some pictures of one, I now have sail No. 175 and have come up against a few problems to sort out. With around 200 boats built there must be some life out there?
Cheers
Mark
EmilyJ

Post by EmilyJ »

Hi Weysail, how can I help? I have number 206 which is the cuddy version.

Barry
Weysail

D17's and all that

Post by Weysail »

Hi Barry,
I did talk to you earlier about Emily J, you've kept her! I needed to find out what the original or at least what is a solution to the foredeck fittings could be. A motorboat foredeck fitting has been used on D175 (circa 1985) and since she has been in storage for a good many years, nobody changed it back. I have placed a 'D' ring behind and slightly to the side of the roller, to take the forestay and get me through the first couple of months, but I would prefer one fitting with a fixing on the stem as well as deck.

I also want to fit a small pole for the cruising chute to be set from.

Have you investigated the state of the centerboard bolt?

Since I brought an open boat, I am looking at a sprayhood for the frontend.
Cheers
Mark
EmilyJ

Post by EmilyJ »

Hi Mark,

Yes I kept her. I had set a deadline at which I would keep her unless sold and it arrived! I'm quite glad really as I've not seen much else that matches the 17 for the price.

I also bought her some new sails and redesigned the rudder to get rid of weather helm. Its quite cheap to do so if you have weather helm let me know.

Your bow fitting sounds like mine, with a hole through the starboard flange for the forestay. I drilled a new one last winter in the port side just in case there was a bit of a stress fracture building up. It seems fine so I'm leaving it as is. There is another 17 near me I'll have a shufty at what she's got next time I'm passing. I'll also send you a picture of mine to confirm it. (I'll need your email address to do that. Drop me a line at barrystott@rya-online.net and I'll reply to it.

I have a spinnaker rather than a cruising chute although cruising chutes don't normally have poles so perhaps you have a spinnaker too? If you want my measurement I'll get it when I'm next on the boat.

Emily J has the hard cuddy so does not have the hood.

Where are you sailing?

Barry