weatherhelm

stuart

weatherhelm

Post by stuart »

Hi I have finally got my Dockrell 22 into a good condition, and am now sailing it, it does have a considerable tendency to turn into the wind - weatherhelm. Does anyone know how to remedy this or is it something that we need to live with.
I am thinking of 2 remedies 1) I know my Genoa is worn ou t- could this be the issue. 2) Someone suggested that building a Skegg just before the rudder might help - Letting the main traveller out does help but the problem still persists, any help would be appreciated.
K6pete

Re: weatherhelm

Post by K6pete »

My 22 had terrible weather helm. But mind you I have removed the drop keel. She sails great. I have decided on a few things I am going to do. The main one is to place fittings forward of where the front sail. Is now pulling. I shell plan to uses these forward fitting only when wind gets up. Other than this I can live with it. The only problem I find is my girl hate to turn down wind. But in all the 22 is a fab boat and I can sleep while she takes me on our way. I balance her sails as a sail plane wing. I have now fitted single line reefing to my main sail and this is great. Can be seen here https://youtu.be/p22KEI_JLD8?si=c8LJfvuvCmcA2m41. Off tomorrow for three month holiday living on my house boat down North Devon and sailing my 22 Misty Dove. Good sailing guys. Cheers Pete