Anyone still sailing a D17?

KerryB

Anyone still sailing a D17?

Post by KerryB »

We took a wee trip over to Scotland on the ferry a couple of days ago (from Northern Ireland) and bought a D17 that had been sailing on Lough Lomond until a few years ago. Since then, she's been sitting on her trailer and gathering green algae. We intend to clean her up and take her sailing around Ireland as often as we can, including some river trips (down the Bank from Lough Neagh to the sea).
The sail number is 61, so I'm guessing she's one of the earlier boats built, and she has a cuddy. Because of her association with Lough Lomond, and our surname (Clan Buchanan consider the area around Lough Lomond their ancestral home) we've decided to call her Clàr Innis, which was supposedly the clan's ancient battle cry.
This is our second D17, but the last one was an open boat. We sold her about 10 years ago and have regretted it ever since, so we've been on the lookout for another one for a while.
Her floor is a bit soggy in places, so the dreaded bulkheads might need some attention, but otherwise she seems in really good condition and has clearly been loved and maintained by someone in the not too distant past. The man we brought her from said her previous owner had died and that the boat had been sold to him by a sailing club on behalf of the owner's widow. Maybe someone on here has seen her when she was still being sailed? I'll try to put some photos up on the website once I've figured out how!
Trug

Re: Anyone still sailing a D17?

Post by Trug »

Still sailing D17
Hello yes still sailing my dockrell 17 you can see her in the photos called Trug and based in Cornwall near to Plymouth. I had her built in 1986 . A young man then. Having known Bolton Dockrell and having many a conversation with him I know he sold a few D17s to a sail training school in Northern Ireland so there must be some left over in your home waters. Good luck with your soggy decking. Al.
KerryB

Post by KerryB »

That’s amazing! How wonderful to have had the boat from new and still be sailing her.
We’ve had a couple of wee outings in Clàr Inis so far, and modified the trailer with guides for easy retrieval. She’s a dream to sail and so stable! I’d forgotten how rewarding Dockrells are to sail, and she’s as comfortable as our long keel Barbican 33 in terms of moving around, but so much easier to raise and lower sails.
The only slight reservation we have is the cuddy. It makes raising and lowering the foresail difficult, so we’ll either try to source a furling system or (more likely) make the cuddy removable. It needs to be removed to sort out the joint between it and the hull anyway, so we might try a season as an open boat before deciding if we’ll put it back on!
You’re right about the sail training Dockrells. Our first one had been part of that fleet, and my husband actually learned to sail in one of them on Strangford Lough as a boy.
Trug looks beautiful. I like the red trim.
How do I go about putting photos on the website?
jhawker

Post by jhawker »

Mine is in Saltash, down South. Used all year round, love taking her to sea around the Eddystone and back! Such a lovely boat, and gets many admiring looks and comments from owners sailing by in their rather £££ yacht!