New owner, Novice sailor

Narnia

New owner, Novice sailor

Post by Narnia »

I am in the process of purchasing a Dockrell 22 as a first boat for my family. Having previously only sailed dinghies on local lakes I would be interested to know what owners think of the performance of this boat under sail or power. My boat has been completely overhauled with new rigging etc and am looking forward to some good sailing around Hayling Island.

Derek
gart

Post by gart »

Hi Derek
Will you be based in Chichester or Langston?
I have moored my Dockrell in Chichester for the last 20 years, I know of three other Dockrell 22's in Chichester harbour.
As for performance, mine is very stable, but fairly slow. There are reasons; I have added two bilge plates so that it dries out upright as I am on a half tide mooring. I am also about 4"-5" down on the waterline, not too sure why, but I do seem to carry a lot of junk there is so much stowage space it tends to get filled up!
Under motor it goes ok, I have a 8 hp Mariner 2 stroke, I rarely use more than a third throttle. Last Saturday I came back from Ryde to Chichester against force 4 easterly but with the tide. (You do need to work the tides). The log showed about 3 knots, with the GPS showing 4.5 knots over ground. But large waves did stop the boat on occasions. I tried Tacking into it but made no headway at all.
I usually sail single-handed these days. And the Dockrell is very easy to sail.
When do you get your new boat? It is getting near the end of the season for me; I like to get mine home before the October Gales strike.
Don't get too worried about my comments on sailing performance, I can only comment on my own boat, and I have spoken with other owners who feel there boats are very fast.
If you need any more info e-mail me at graham@tupper.co.uk
Graham

Henrietta

Post by Henrietta »

Good choice Derek. My Dockrell 22 was my first real taste of sailing of any kind. She seems reasonably nippy if you work the wind and tides on this stretch of the Devon Coast (Salcombe) even though she has bilge plates. According to the GPS I probably average between three to four knots over the ground.My maximum under sail is 7.5 knots. The lifting keel whilst a bonus on my drying mooring is also a nuisance as it can and does get stuck with mud. I know others also struggle with this at times.
Happy Sailing.

John Roberts