North Bergen, New Jersey 07047 USA

Subject: Dockrell 22 Modification

Bill

Please let me introduce myself. My name is Dave Stevens and I have a
Dockrell Yacht Web Site in the UK.

I have just found your website and I am interested to know how you
eliminated the fumes and prevented the outboard engine from choking itself
when you modified the Dockrell 22.

I built a box over the well on my Dockrell 22 and made an adaptor which fits over the exhaust vents on the leg of the outboard engine. This takes the fumes out via a flexible pipe through the transom. This works extremely very well but I could not fully enclose the engine well and I had to leave a cut-out in the forward section so that enough air flows to the engine to ensure it run properly. This means that I still have some fumes and a lot of noise which makes it uncomfortable when using the tiller.

Please could let the Dockrell owner, and any other Dockrell owners that you know, about my website at www.dockrell.co.uk . They may register on the forum (free of charge). I am sure that Dockrell owners in the UK would be pleased to hear from them.

I would like to place a link from my site to your website as I know there are more Dockrell owners in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Hattiesburg, Reno, Cleveland, Houston, Washington, City Island and Quebec, if that is OK with you.

Thank you for taking the time to read this email.
Have a good day.

Thanks
Dave
admin

Post by admin »

Hi Dave

I put a Solar power Vent on the transom. I did this job about
twelve years ago. I don't know what happen to the owner.. I wanted to get photos of the engine cover that I made out of fiberglass, then I install Soundown to keep the engine noise down, Then I install a Edson Steering system.. So you sit on the engine cover while you steer the boat.

I took the boat on a Two week cruise to Long Island, and many of the marinas where Very impress how it looked.. I just wish I had taken photos of it then, But it was done a long time ago, and I don't know where the owner is now.

As for the link. I'm updating the site in a couple months. I'll keep in touch.

Thanks
Bill

admin

Post by admin »

Bill

Thanks very much for your fast response.

I had thought of using a motorised vent. I found a very suitable cooling fans about 6" diameter on some old computing equipment. I did not fit them because I do not have an alterator on my outboard. I did not think about solar power - good idea. I will now have a look at designing the box.

Thanks for your help.
I look forward to seeing your updated website.

Dave