New boy

Endpin

New boy

Post by Endpin »

Hi everyone.
Just purchased a D17. Discovered this forum during search of all things Dockrell. I know absolutely nothing about the boat or its class. My friend and I bought it on an impulse, it looked good in the sales yard and seems to fit the criteria we are looking for.
How do they sail? Are they easy or difficult to launch and recover? Are they easy to tow with an ordinary family car?
Too early to ask many searching questions. I have purchased a report from PBO and that will provide some answers
We are collecting the boat mid August and towing to our local water. The craft will need a bit of sprucing up, but she looks in reasonable order.
Look forward to communicating with you all in the near future
lozbry

Post by lozbry »

hi there . the d17 is a forgiving boat and is very easy to sail. i have a 4x4 so towing is not an isue.and the trailer i have is a brandnew rollercoster that helps. a small car should be ok.sailing can get a bit spirited when your on your own as my wife will not play she not to keen on sailing ,so i am going to sell my d17 at the end of the year its a good outfit all ready to go with a 4hp outboard all the sails and a new trailer not bad for ?2000 regards loz..
Endpin

Post by Endpin »

Hi Dave

Thank you for your reply.

The boat will be moored at Colwick Marina in Nottingham, but we have plans to take it further afield.
We collected the boat yesterday and have not had the chance so far, to do much with it.
One question that is bothering us: What is the hole in the bottom hull for? We suspect a drain hole of some sort but can't work out the source of the water which comes from it. We don't yet understand the cockpit draining principles. Also the bilge pump seems to be in good operation as we removed gallons of water. Obviously water must collect between the inner and outer skins, but how does so much get in?.

I suppose sight of the original owners manual would help.
Would any kind soul be kind enough to lend us a copy?
Guarenteed prompt return!!

Also no pictures as yet, but will be please to upload as soon as we have something interesting.

Thanks, will keep you regularly updated with events.

Regards

Colin
Endpin

Post by Endpin »

Hi Lozbry.
It looks like you're getting out as we're getting in.
We paid the same price as your selling price so your price looks like a bargain. I assume you are selling because you wife is not keen, too bad my wife enjoys sailing and is pleased that I have bought another vessel. I share with a friend, but we are part of a larger group that goes sailing regularly. (We recently chartered a 45foot yacht and sailed round the Ionian islands in Greece) We have just sold a motor cruiser and there is some talk of two of the lads buying a fast boat for water skiing etc. We keep active. The Dockrell is still on the hard as we suspect the jib roller reefing system is faulty and may need a repair,
otherwise the boat looks ok. WE are looking forward to putting her in the water. I'll keep you posted.
Colin