Help with Dockrell 22 specs

McGiver

Help with Dockrell 22 specs

Post by McGiver »

After a year of sailing (and camping on) a 16' American Fiberglass sailboat, I'm seriously looking at upgrading.
One option is a 1981 Dockrell 22. I'm reading some very nice things about the stability and ruggedness of the design and the room.

The owner's manual has long since ceased to exist, so I have a few questions. First, what is the max horsepower for the boat? Currently there is a 15 HP on, but I have a 5 HP 4 stroke Nissan also.

What is the general option of the Dockrell 22 as a daysailer and weekend cruiser?

How big of a pain is stepping the mast? Any tricks for doing it alone?

Anybody have sail dimensions? I will probably have to replace the jib fairly soon and I'll add a furling or reefing system.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

My current boat can be seen at http://www.mcgiver.d2g.com/reenie-k if anyone wants to see what I'm upgrading from

Thank you one and all
McGiver

More info about my possible upgrade

Post by McGiver »

I spoke to the owner today and gleaned a bit more information.

There was no boom when he got the boat, so he cut down a Coronado boom to 8'

What is hte lenth of the original boom? Anybody got a tape measure handy? I'm concerned that if he put a main on with a smaller foot, the boat may not balance properly. Having gone through trying to fix a boat with excessive weather helm, I don't want to go through it again.

Again, thanks in advance for any help

Phill